Thursday, January 13, 2011

Good days, bad days and some really wonderful memories

It seems that the longer I sit in my desk at Box Brothers, the more I get to see and experience.
Most of the time this is good stuff, learning about places and subjects, and how to do your best--and other times, it seems the longevity I have here allows for me to go though life's good days and of course, its tougher days.
http://www.boxbros.com/

I remember the early days of our company, and how I used to spend time at the stores, more than I am able to today, and I recall the days when, about 20 years ago, that I hired one of
the best people I have ever had the privilege of knowing, our Vice President, Chris Long.

I remember him getting a box from his home in Oregon, and you should have seen the smile on his face, this kid was maybe 18 or 19 years old at the time. His mother had sent him a box with goodies--cookies, pictures, a short letter and maybe a shirt or two. Maybe there were other things, but I remember Chris' smile that he got some good stuff from his mom.

On Monday, after four long years of struggle, Chris' mom succumbed to her battle with cancer.
For someone I have never met, but spoke with more than once, and who I talked about at length
with Chris, I can only tell you that the world and the Longs, lost one super great person to a terrible disease.

Maybe it was how she connected with Chris, or maybe how she always drove from Oregon to be
at her grandson's birthdays or how she took her family on so many trips over the years, and how she always supported her sons and her grandchildren. Calling her a saint would not be a big stretch, but she was human.

Chris told me about her patience, as if you had Chris as a child, you would have needed patience too, but I have been told she was not a person who would lose composure or give you any guilt,
just always there to give love and never complain.

I have never been able to figure out why the good, no, the great people are the ones who have to suffer, as we see so many bad people and people who do not care about others who seem not to suffer as much as the good people. I have no answers, but I do know that the world was a better place because of Mrs. Long. I know that her family will always have her in their hearts and in their souls, as she was a true giver and someone who loved her family with all of her heart and soul.

I know life is not fair, nor is it right, when we have to suffer with these losses, as I recall when I lost my mom, many years ago. I know that Chris is staying strong, as he has little choice with all of his responsibilities, but if you ever get a chance to ask him about how good his mother's cookies were, you might possibly find out just by seeing Chris' big giant smile.

Mrs. Long, thank you for the love you gave, as i saw it, tasted it, and you have to know you leave a very strong and loving legacy with your children and your grandchildren, that will attest to your greatness. I am just glad that the suffering is over and that you had to know just how much your family loved you. In this way, you were also truly blessed.

1 comment:

  1. Mark; This was very touching.... I'm sure my mother was happy that I found a career here with the Box Brothers family!!!! If it weren't for Box Brothers, I would still be living with my mother..... I know she wouldn't want that!!!! So I will assume she knew that when she left I would be taken care of..... Thanks for always being there for our family....

    ReplyDelete