Saturday, June 5, 2010

Loss of John Wooden.

You can’t be unaffected, by the sad news we got last night, about the loss of John Wooden.

While there is not much more I can say or add to the discussion to what is being said on every
media outlet, news or otherwise, I do feel compelled to relate how I have been affected by this
man.

Many, many years ago, in the 1960’s, my oldest brother was attending UCLA. Like most of the students
there at that time, Mr. Wooden provided a great deal of pride in the university, with their compelling team
play. I remember Lucious Allen, Lynn Shakleford, Larry Hollyfield, Walt Hazard, as I was just a small kid,
but I do remember vividly, when my brother took me to school with him and I saw the campus and the pride
he had for the Bruins under Mr. Wooden.

What I find most remarkable about him, was his nature, and his determination and his poise under pressue.
When they talk about his demeanor, aren’t we really saying that this man not only set the right example,
but was always under control. And he did what he did, when all of the social institutions and racial barriers
were on the front burner, during that time.

He was not political, nor was he condescending but always professional. I think a lot of people in the public
eye could learn a lot from him. Like the time a few years ago, I was eating breakfast at the best breakfast and
lunch spot in the Valley, the Little CafĂ© in Tarzana. Having eaten there quite a bit, I had seen Mr. Wooden’s
picture on the wall, signed. He just came in with his daughter, his caretaker and one or two of his grandsons.

He was frail, but sharp and he did not shy away from shaking anyone’s hand who held their’s out. He spoke to
strangers, like he knew them and he was genuine. Compare this to our Hollywood stars and public figures today;
in my opinion, he was not self absorbed, he was selfless, and untiring in his commitment to his family, his players,
to charity, to UCLA and to the public at large.

I wish I had the same level of clarity, control and communication skills when I work with our employees at Box
Brothers. I am not sure if there is another sports team coach, who put forth a way to live that could even be used
in business. I am also impressed, that he never backed down, was always ready and he had no place in his
life for mediocrity, but he was not above it all, by any means. Someone said it best, when they said if all men
were like him, this world would be a much better place.

God bless this man and his family, as the world has lost one of its great people. He will be sorely missed.
BY : Mark Frydman

No comments:

Post a Comment