Friday, June 11, 2010

The sun is shining, things are looking up, after all..

Yesterday, I contributed to this blog and the entire time I was doing my post, I was thinking
that, for whatever reason, I was in a negative mood. Probably was, but sometimes, what I see
drives me.

Today, I was at the bank and for a Friday, it seemed not that busy. I recall the old days
when a trip to the bank meant a minimum 15-20 minute visit, due to the lines. Not these days.

At the same time, I realize that ones person's perception may be affected by their totality of
circumstances. I have people I speak with daily, key people in this company and sometimes,
their kids whack them out, as they are kids, and sometimes, it is their spouses--who would have guessed, or it could be the credit card company, as they seem to enjoy giving bad news to anyone of their customers. I don't want to get diverted, but ask me, if their cost of money is 1-3%, how do they get away charging everyone 26 or 22 or 29%, as as some of them do. That is one hell
of a gross margin--ask anyone.

At the same time, today my view of the economy and how things are going seems to be more upbeat. It was, as I call them, a more traditional day of summer, as we were busy, across all fronts. That does not mean we could not be busier, by any means, but this is a good day.

Tomorrow, one of our Licensees, David Goodman is getting married. It is a true blessing for him
and his bride, Toni. We all wish him the best, and we look forward to his long, long homeymoon....so we can all get a break....just kidding.

We have a big auction with our partner, Bonhams and Butterfields, in the bay area this coming
week, and we have a lot of goals to meet with our sales campaigns, which are running simultaneously. We are going to get back to better days, but doing what we do best, dominating
in our field, as if I have learned anything, it is not about the materials you use, or the types of materials, but the people who do the work. We have so much integrity, that I cringe when I think of all the potential people who get screwed thinking that this firm or that firm is really good. I can flatly say, that in all of my years of experience, that is the most important quality to have for success. It is not easy, as you are constantly challenged, but the truth is that all of the high flyers do not care about all of their customers. I know for a fact, there is so much smoke and mirrors out there, it is a darn shame, and while I am trying not to drop to their level, these are the guys who talk a good show, but will not be there if there is a problem. They have as much integrity, as a thimble does.

Sometimes, we have had clients, auctioneers, that could care less about their customers, once their money is collected. Again, I do not need to name names, but it is a real shame to see that.
I take nothing for granted and I have run this coompany this way every single day for over 20 years. We come to work here, for the customer. That is why Box Brothers is the best.

No comments:

Post a Comment