Friday, June 4, 2010

Summer is here.....

Judging from how hot my car seat was today, I think it is fair to say that summer
is finally here. To be honest about it, I have felt as if we have not had a summer
season in over two years. How can this be?

Summer is our version, at Box Brothers, of what is the holiday season for most retailers.
Summer is our season, the moving season, and with the recession that we have had, we
seem to have misplaced the traditional summer season with just hot air, as far as
the moving industry goes.

My main moving box vendor, California Dolly Service (CDS) says that "we did not have
summer last year..." Having been in this crazy moving and transportation business for over
2 decades, I am used to being busy in summer, but it was a good time for the business and for
our employees, as well.

I was always proud of the workforce, that they gave it their all to get all of the work done,
and I wish it were busy enough now that I would need to hire a bunch of new people. but as
of yet, I have not seen business return to its normal flow, pre recession.

I realize that it is a long road back, but ask me, it is too long. I cannot figure out how some
segments of the economy are doing well, like lawyering, and so many others fields of
endeavor are not even holding their own. So much has already been said, and now everything
seems so political, but I do not know anyone in small business who can claim that this season
or last season was as good as prior moving seasons--or summer.

Today, I heard an opinion about unemployment and how long it is taking for people to go back to
work. The commentator said that "this is what is is like to be in an economy with a surplus of
qualified workers....that this is the new reality."

I disagree. I think that we have had the wrong priorities, as no level of government-local, state or federal, does one thing for small business. They do everything for large businesses, and whether they admit it or not, they sold all of us and America out. I do not know one small
business person who has a lobbyist. I do not know anyone who truly gives money to politicians,
without the expectation of something in return. Who does not know that?

I do not want to really complain, as it does not help, as all I want is the opportunity to earn, to treat our customers with respect and provide them with the best products and services we can.
I just want our summer season back, just like Macy's wants their holiday season.

Merry Christmas

No comments:

Post a Comment